Batch print generates a print-ready PDF (or PDFs) of a group of documents for export. As opposed to producing documents (see the Productions FAQ for more information), batch printing does not create new Bates numbers for documents, but can export documents that have already been produced.
Batch print can help you:
- Prepare documents for a deposition
- Print a few or several document for inter-office communications
- Download document images for viewing outside of DISCO
You can batch print a set of documents based on an entire search result set, or select a subset of documents using the checkboxes to the left of the search results.
There are four batch print options: output format, version to use, DISCO redactions, and sort by.
Output format determines whether to generate a single PDF containing all the documents (useful for actually printing all the documents at once), or generate one PDF per document. In either case, the PDF or PDFs will be put into a zip file to download. The choices are:
- All documents together (default)
- Each document in a separate file
Version to use
The next option determines which version of the document to use:
- Original (default)
- Original stamped with DISCO ID
- Produced version of the document based on a selected Bates prefix
- If you choose a Bates prefix, and a document has multiple versions with that prefix, we will include all of them.
- If you choose a Bates prefix, and a document does not have any versions with that prefix, we will not include it.
- If you choose a Bates prefix, and a document was produced natively, its original file will be included in the ZIP, and a slip sheet will be printed.
- If you choose original, and a document is one of the file extensions that defaults to native (audio, video, unknown, Excel, CAD, etc.), we will include the native file in the ZIP, and also print a slip sheet. Even if the file (Excel, CAD, etc.) is redacted, the native will be exported.
Additionally, you can select how to output redactions. The choices for redactions include:
- None – Clean image of the document, without redactions
- Highlight Redacted Areas – Instead of blacking out the redacted portions, they are highlighted (for situations where the user wants to know what was redacted in the documents)
- Black – Standard blacked out redaction boxes (default)
The Sort By option allows you to determine exactly how you’d like the documents sorted. You can sort by Bates number, custodian, date, family (use this option to export emails and their attachments consecutively), filename, id, path, reference id, subject, or document type.
Batch print cover sheets
Cover sheets will automatically be inserted into your batch print set to easier tell when one document ends and the next begins.
If you select All documents together when setting up your batch print, cover sheets stamped with the following data will be included:
- Version to use, 'Original' – DISCO document ID will be stamped on each cover sheet
- Version to use, 'Original stamped with DISCO ID' – DISCO document ID will be stamped on each cover sheet
- Version to use, 'Bates prefix' – The selected bates prefix with the corresponding bates number will be stamped on each cover sheet
NOTE: A document's attachments do NOT automatically get added to a batch print. Make sure your search query captures both the parent and its attachment in the results/selected documents before using batch print.