These instructions apply to databases that have the native ingest feature in crawl or walk.
- Prerequisites for ingesting native files in the Review app
- Recommended practices for ingesting native files
- How to download and install the high-speed uploader
- How to upload and ingest native files
Prerequisites for ingesting native files
- Use the Chrome browser. We currently support the Chrome browser. In particular, Internet Explorer and Edge browsers may have settings that do not allow communication between the high-speed uploader and DISCO Review.
- Allow pop-ups. Disable any pop-up blockers for DISCO Review. Pop-up blockers may not allow you to download the high-speed uploader.
- Be a computer admin. You must be able to download and install the high-speed uploader on your computer. To do this, you must be a local administrator on your computer. Speak to your IT team if you are not.
- No firewalls or proxy. To use the uploader, your network firewalls must not block it and you must not use a network proxy. If we need to work directly with your IT department for this to happen, contact Customer Support at email@example.com.
- Have read permissions. To upload files, you must have read permissions for all of the files that will be uploaded.
If you are unsure if these prerequisites are being met, ask your IT department to reach out to DISCO Client Success at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 941-0583.
Prerequisites for IT administrators
DISCO Review’s native ingest feature requires that users install a high-speed uploader on their local machines. The high-speed uploader coordinates with the DISCO Review application and Amazon Web Services to initiate a high-speed transfer of files into DISCO Review. Users can control the high-speed transfers from within the DISCO Review application. To enable the high-speed uploader for your organization please consider the following:
- Users must have permission to install software on their computers.
- Hosted desktop environments like Citrix may limit high-speed uploader performance. If after installation you find that the hosted environment limits the performance of the high-speed uploader, please contact email@example.com to determine if the high-speed uploader is a good fit for your environment.
- Users must use the Chrome browser. Internet Explorer and Edge browsers may have settings that do not allow communication between the high-speed uploader and DISCO Review.
- Network settings must allow the high-speed uploader to communicate with DISCO Review and Amazon Web Services. For best performance, please allow access to the following URLs, and disable SSL packet inspection on the following URLs:
- DISCO Review URLs
- Amazon URLs
- General - https://*.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/
- US: https://csdisco-prod-riftuploads-us-west-2.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/
- EU: https://csdisco-euwest1-riftuploads-eu-west-1.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com/
- DISCO Review URLs
- Quality of service policy: The high-speed uploader uploads data at the maximum rate the local network allows. If you would like to control the upload speed of the high-speed uploader, please configure a Quality of Service policy on your network using the URLs above. Please consult your network firewall configuration for details.
Your upload speed is determined by your network connection and available bandwidth. To test your local network speed, run the Internet Speed Test at fast.com and click Show more info. Find your network’s upload speed. Then, use this table to see how quickly you can ingest your documents using the high-speed uploader.
|Your network upload speed:|
- Do not use password protection for any files. The connection with DISCO Review is secure and no additional encryption is necessary.
- Copy the data to a staging area and/or restrict access to the source location. If files are being accessed by others as the upload is occurring, the process will take longer. Make sure all files are not locked or open elsewhere.
- Do not combine small uploads into a single ingest.
- Break up larger uploads into smaller uploads with approximately 500 GB each. While the uploader can handle larger sets of data, the ingest process will not begin until the transfer of the entire data set is complete. If you ingest a data set of 2 TB in 500 GB increments, we can start ingesting the first 500 GB well before the entire 2 TB is uploaded. This will allow you to start reviewing faster.
- You may decrease upload time by using an additional computer. If your network’s internal and external bandwidth are high enough to support two concurrent uploads, we recommend installing the uploader on another computer and uploading different data sets on each. If you are unsure if your bandwidth is high enough, contact DISCO Client Success the first time you use multiple machines. The team can view the initial progress to assess whether the additional upload is beneficial.
Downloading and installing the high-speed uploader
To download the high-speed uploader:
- In the DISCO Review main menu, click Ingest.
- On the Ingest page, click Install high-speed uploader. If the button isn’t available, the uploader is probably already installed on your computer.
- On your computer, open the DISCO Agent Installer file with the extension .exe.
- If you are prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer, click Yes.
- Select the installation location and click Install.
Note: If you are using a Windows computer and you get a warning message such as the following, click Run anyway to continue installing the high-speed uploader.
- When the installation is complete, close the window.
- Once the program is installed, you can start using it to ingest data.
Uploading and ingesting native files
You do NOT need to complete a New Database or Add Data to an Existing Database form if you are using this process to ingest native files.
To ingest files using the uploader, follow these steps:
- In the DISCO Review main menu, click Ingest.
- On the Ingest page, click New Ingest and then click Native.
- Complete the ingest wizard. You will be asked to name and describe the ingest, select the files you want to be ingested, add custodians and tags, and select additional options.
- After you after you have completed the ingest wizard, you will see a card for the ingest on the Ingest page. The card will include the progress, elapsed time, and the estimated time remaining.
- Once the ingest is complete, there will be options to view the included files and download the ingest report. See Downloading and understanding your ingest report for more information.