DISCO’s native ingest feature allows you to quickly upload and ingest documents directly into your review database without filing a ticket on our support site.
If you would prefer to send your documents to DISCO’s Professional Services team, you can do so directly within the app or by completing the Add Data to an Existing Database form.
To ingest files using the uploader, follow these steps:
- In the DISCO main menu, click Ingest.
- If you haven't already, download and install the high-speed uploader.
- On the Ingest page, click New Ingest and then click Native.
- On the Name and description page, enter a name for the ingest and an optional description, and then click Next. The ingest name will appear on the ingest card.
- On the File selection page, navigate to the ingest file or folder by clicking on the folder icons. If you know the file path that you want to select, you can also paste the path directly into the file selector.
- When you have selected your ingest file, click Next.
- On the Assign details page, you can select, create, and assign custodians, tags, and folders to your ingest.
- You can assign a custodian by folder or by picking a name from the drop-down menu. To assign a custodian using the drop-down, click the Assign custodian icon.
- In the Assign custodian window, search for or navigate to a custodian, or create a new custodian by entering the name and then clicking Add new.
- If your documents are organized by custodian folders, you can assign the custodian based on the folder name. Choose to use first- or second-level folders to assign custodians.
- To assign tags, click the Assign tags icon.
- In the Assign tags window, you can select an existing tag or create a new tag by typing the tag name into the drop-down. To create a new tag, click Add new, and when prompted, select the tag group for the new tag. You will be notified that the new tag has been created. Select Next.
- To assign folders, click the Assign folders icon.
- On the Assign folders page, search for or navigate to a folder and click it to add it. Click Add to assign your documents to the folders when they are ingested.
- When your ingest details have been assigned, click Next.
- The Ingest options screen is where you can configure settings related to deduplication and hidden content. The native ingest feature also gives you the option to choose how to handle any files that DISCO was not able to process. Common exceptions include: Password Protected files, Encrypted or Corrupted Files. Choose one of the options provided below:
- Send exceptions to DISCO Professional Services for review (recommended). – Any errors generated during your native file ingest will be sent to DISCO Professional Services to be addressed and remediated, if applicable. Before completing the exception remediation, DISCO’s Professional Services team will provide a summary of the files that had errors and an estimate of the time needed to remediate the issues. Additional hourly charges will apply.
- I will review the exception report and remediate any exceptions as necessary. – Any errors generated during your native file ingest will be your responsibility to address. You can view these errors by downloading an Ingest Exception Report and following DISCO’s suggested remediation steps as outlined in Identifying ingest exceptions and Remediating ingest exceptions.
- When your ingest options have been configured, click Next.
- Review the information on the Summary page and, if it is all correct, click Ingest.
- After you have completed the ingest wizard, you will see a card for the ingest on the Ingest page. The card will include the progress, elapsed time, and the estimated time remaining.
- Once the ingest is complete, there will be options to view the included files and download the ingest report.
Post Ingest Quality Control
- Once an ingest completes, you can review the ingest report or exception report for more detail. An exception report will be available if there are any files that DISCO was not able to extracted text or metadata, or create the near-native view.
- To review the reports, navigate to the ingest page and select the ellipsis from the ingest card that you would like to review.
- In the dropdown, click Download exception report.
- Each item in the exception report will have a ProcessingStatus and ProcessingDetails category that is also searchable in DISCO. You can learn more about DISCO’s recommended handling of exceptions in Remediating Ingest Exceptions.