DISCO’s Early Case Assessment is a space within a matter’s review database. When enabled, ECA allows users with admin credentials to:
- Quickly ingest and investigate data early in the discovery process,
- Immediately promote relevant data to active review without having to make additional copies of the documents or move data across databases,
- Instantly search across either or both ECA and Active Review at any time,
- Specify ECA permissions to ingest, explore and promote
Historically, ediscovery providers offering ECA have forced teams to ingest data into a separate database and, once the assessment was performed, required teams to move relevant data to an entirely separate database for Active Review. This approach took time and forced teams to wait while data was being shuttled in between these two databases.
DISCO has taken a different approach, storing ALL data within the same database, separating data not physically, but logically, using a concept we call Data Spaces. A data space allows users to create and manage a mutually exclusive sets of documents, for ECA and Active Review. A single document, and its family members, live in either in the ECA or Active review data space. While these spaces are mutually exclusive, DISCO allows you to search within AND across those sets of documents to provide a comprehensive view across the entire review database.
As an example, after creating a database in DISCO, users can now explicitly specify which data space they want to ingest data into.
Documents in ECA will still have all of the ingest enrichments performed, including deduplication, near native creation, text extraction, similar document calculation and conversation threading. Documents in ECA can be analyzed and organized to determine which data sets should be promoted to Active Review. Once promoted, documents can be added tagged in the document viewer, added to a review stage, produced, added to exhibit sets.
Users with permissions to documents across both data spaces will see a space selector within Search and Review, Search Visualization and Search Term Reports. This selector allows users to leverage the full power of DISCO Search syntax, filters, and visualization while also scoping that search to just ECA, just Active Review, or both at the same time.
Here are the DISCO Ediscovery capabilities you can utilize within the ECA and Active Review spaces:
- Search and Review including filters, search syntax, and search visualization
- Search Term Reports
- Mass tagging, foldering, and batch print
- View an ECA document along with its metadata and related document relationships