When you log in to DISCO Review, you will be directed to the Matter List page. This page shows all review databases that you have access to.
You can search for databases using the search bar at the top.
If a database is missing, it may not have been migrated to the new DISCO Review structure. Click Go to my legacy matters to see these databases.
Each database on the Matter List page has a card with the following information:
- List of databases (can be expanded and collapsed by clicking Show details and Hide details)
- Matter name
- Jump to the Review app
- Matter menu
Matter vs. database
Organizations, matters, review databases, and users exist in a hierarchical relationship in DISCO Review. An organization is usually a law firm, business, or nonprofit establishment. A matter is a case, lawsuit, grievance, or other interest that concerns the organization. Each matter has one or more review databases in DISCO Review, which contain the documents that need to be reviewed in order to resolve the matter.
Navigating a review database
To navigate to a review database, on the Matter List page, expand the matter card by clicking Show details. You'll see how many review databases there are, the ID number, the button to click to review the database, and the button that will open all other options.
If you have permission to view the search page, you will be navigated to that page by default. From there, you can:
- Change what information is displayed in the document list and sort it
- Click on a document to begin reviewing the document list in the document viewer
- Narrow the document list using search filters
- Search for documents
- Navigate to search visualization
- Navigate folders
If you do not have access to the search page, navigating to the review database will direct you to a list of review stages and/or other locations you have permission to view:
You can navigate to other pages in the review database by selecting an option in the main menu.
Entering the review workflow
To start a review stage, you’ll need to check out a batch. If you see a list of review stages when you navigate to the database, click a stage to check out a batch. If you see the search page when you navigate to the database, expand Check Out Batches in the main menu and click the appropriate stage.
A batch is a collection of the next available documents or documents from a group (the default is Next available).
To check out a batch:
- On the DISCO Review home page, in the main menu, click Check Out Batches, and then click the stage name.
- On the My Batches page, next to Grab next batch from, either leave the default Next available or select a custodian from the dropdown, and then click Check out.
- On the batch review screen, click a document to open it. The decision pane you created earlier will be in the left panel of the document viewer.
- When you have finished reviewing the document, click Mark Reviewed & Next. The next document in the batch will open.
When a document has been reviewed, a green check mark will display in the REVIEWED column on the batch review screen. Also, a progress bar shows how many documents have successfully been reviewed.
- When the batch has been reviewed, click Check-in.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: When you check out a batch, DISCO Review uses just-in-time batching, which means that all of the documents in a stage are not put into batches until the reviewer requests them. That way, any change in strategy in your review does not revolve around lots of deconstruction of batches that have not yet been reviewed.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: For databases created before February 7, 2017, a document enters stage complete after being marked Reviewed, whether the document was checked back in or not. For databases created on or after February 7, 2017, a document will enter stage complete ONLY IF the document has been marked Reviewed and is currently in a batch that is checked in.
If you aren’t sure what stage you are in, ask your review manager.